Paying for care

The government decides the limit

Share Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email
Providing Care

Do I need to pay for my care?

People with over £23,350 in capital (investment and savings) will have to pay the full cost of their care. The government decides this limit.

Council assessment

Care can be expensive, so you should check that you're getting any money you are entitled to. A care needs assessment with the local council will be carried out, followed by a financial review (means test); this determines how much you will need to pay towards your care. A financial assessment will consider your income (including benefits and pensions) and your capital, including any savings. It may also include the value of your home.

NHS Continuing Healthcare funding

In some circumstances, the NHS may be eligible to pay for your care. If you have considerable health and care needs, you might qualify for NHS Continuing Healthcare; this may include NHS-funded nursing care in a care home that covers the cost of care, but not accommodation.

Self-funding my care

If you have capital of over £23,350, you will have to pay for your care (self-fund). If you are in this position, it is advisable to get some financial advice. Even if you have to pay for your care, it is still advisable to have a care needs assessment carried out by your council. The council will give you a written evaluation of your care needs and can help you find information on financing your care.

Other options

Equity release, deferred payment schemes, savings, and insurance are popular ways to pay for care.